In August 2020, Ausgrid gave the Strata Management of Aston Apartments, in Hosking Place Sydney, just six weeks’ notice of a seven-day power outage to enable the electricity distribution company to replace and reconfigure mains electricity cables in their nearby Main Sydney CBD Substation. Ausgrid also advised the building manager to hire a diesel generator to provide alternate power during the outage and to secure a permit to run it from the Sydney City Council, which would cost residents around $20,000.
As Ausgrid maintained the timing of the power outage could not be changed, the Building Management team decided to negotiate a significant reduction in the duration of the outage, and if this could not be achieved, for the electricity distribution company to pay for the diesel generator.
“As the power cable issues were an Ausgrid problem, we believed the generator should be paid for by Ausgrid and not the Aston apartment owners,” explains Building Management Australia Director Andrew Veron.
After extensive negotiations with the Ausgrid management, with assistance from Ausgrid Engineering Officer Anthony Conyngham, the Building Management team successfully reduced the planned power outage from seven days and nights to just 15 hours of low power supply and three hours of no power during a low-usage period from 11pm to 2am.
During the periods of low power supply, the building’s essential facilities such as lights, lift, and fire and security systems, would all remain operational and the only concession would be that residents would be required to reduce their usage of high-power appliances, such as air-conditioning units, washing machines and dryers.
For the one three-hour complete power shutdown, the building management team reduced the impact on residents and ensured a smooth shutdown and successful re-start of all facilities and systems by:
• Securing service support for the Aston Fire Protection system
• Ensuring operation of emergency lighting and plant machinery
• Securing technical support from Schindler Lift
• Having an electrician on site during the shutdown to address any issues with the HVAC and water-cooling tower pumps
• Being on-site during outage to ensure the Aston front foyer door was open, all plant and automated Garbage Room machinery was safety deactivated and all systems carefully managed from shutdown to restart
• Liaising with strata management and owner committees to keep all parties informed
Collaboration with the Aston’s Building Management Committee (BMC), Adina Serviced Apartments and Ausgrid, together with careful planning and case management by Bmaus meant:
• Bmaus saved the Aston BMC significant costs without the Strata having to pay for the 24/7 diesel power generator and Sydney Council permits
• The Bmaus solution ensured residents and guests weren’t subjected to power generator noise and fumes 24/7 for a week
• Bmaus was able to adhere to the strict time commitments set by Ausgrid for their essential electrical mains power works in the sub-station under Hosking Place
• Bmaus safely managed and coordinated the building’s 3 lifts, building fire systems, major plant, and back-up emergency power lighting on shut-down and start-up (in conjunction with professional technicians).
Please fill in the details as follows;
Building Managers provide a variety of services that help create a more convenient, efficient and cost-effective building. Strata buildings that have numerous lots – residential, commercial, retail – have an increased amount of traffic and activities which require a professional building manager to oversee and mitigate.
Building Managers organise, control and delegate the strategic and operational management of a building. They are based on-site with a dedicated office from where they manage contractors and suppliers carrying out maintenance and upgrades and provide services such as security, cleaning, and property maintenance. Building Managers can issue keys, accept parcels and manage the adherence of the occupants to the registered by-laws.
Bmaus can assist the owners’ corporation with:
– The management of common property
– Controlling the use of common property by tradespersons and other non-residents
– The maintenance and repair of common property
– Duties such as concierge, security and cleaning
Building Managers usually manage strata buildings greater than 70 lots, however, they can manage smaller strata on a part-time basis at the Strata Committee’s discretion.
Building Managers are appointed by members of a Strata Committee. They are appointed at an AGM or EGM and are administered by the Strata Committee via a Strata Agent.
The Strata Committee of the owners corporation represents owners or owners’ nominees. It is responsible for the day-to-day running of the strata scheme and is elected at each annual general meeting (AGM). The owners corporation decides the number of strata committee members for the coming year at each AGM. An owners corporation may also employ a Strata Managing Agent and/or Building Manager to carry out some, or all, of the responsibilities of the strata committee.
We create a tailored quote by discussing your tenant’s requirements and by conducting an on-site scope of work to assess your building’s maintenance and management requirements such as security, cleaning, coordinating/overseeing repairs and renovations, provision of valet parking, concierge, and/or mail/parcel management, and facilities maintenance such as gardening and maintenance of amenities such as gyms and/or swimming pools.
Bmaus has managers who operate as full-time managers, part-time managers and, in some instances, a combination of remote and onsite managers. As with all our services, we tailor the manager’s hours to meet the needs of your building.
Bmaus employs several ‘floating’ / ‘relief’ Building Managers who are acquainted with your building and its operation and maintenance requirements. This ensures a continuity of quality service during times of leave.
Taking Building Management to a new level
Professionalism is key
Bmaus is an integrated building and facilities management company that has evolved to meet the needs of today’s strata buildings.
Most importantly, we understand we are a services company entrusted with the care and comfort of your homes.
With this in mind, we offer highly professional Building Managers with the necessary skills and aptitudes to meet the needs of your strata, from the simplest to the most complex.
Bmaus is the solution you’ve been looking for.
Our team members have strong expertise and experience in the following:
• Compilation of building defects
• Control of key and access systems
• Management and audit of security operations
• Supervision of communications systems
• Operation of concierge and reception service
• Reporting and advising the owners corporation of all building issues
• Supervision of contractors
• Control of furniture and goods entry and exit
• Enforcement of by-laws and rules relating to the property
• Attending owners corporation and other relevant meetings
To find out more about our services and how we can improve your building’s management, please contact us on 02 8356 7127 or email info@Bmaus.com.au
We look forward to being an integral part of your building’s success!